This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The first case of plague known to occur in Havana, Cuba, was discovered July 6, 1912, in the person of a Spaniard residing at No. 2 Mercaderes Street. Two additional cases occurred July 12 and 22 at Justiz and Baratillo streets, about four blocks distant from the first case. The district involved in this infection is about three blocks from the water front and in the wholesale commercial district of the city.
The infection was at first supposed to have been imported from Porto Rico, the capital of which, San Juan, was at the time plague infected. Subsequent investigation, however, by the Cuban health authorities, indicates that the infection was a direct importation from the Canary Islands, where plague was present at the time, though concealed and stubbornly denied by the Spanish authorities.
Owing to the early discovery of the disease and the thorough and excellent work of the Cuban
G. M. GUITERAS. PLAGUE IN HAVANA. JAMA. 1915;LXIV(1):29–34. doi:10.1001/jama.1915.02570270031008