[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 25, 1917

EXOPHTHALMIC GOITER AND OTHER FORMS OF PATHOLOGIC KINETIC DRIVE

JAMA. 1917;LXIX(8):610-612. doi:10.1001/jama.1917.02590350012004
Abstract

Among the total of 2,169 operations for goiter which have been performed by my associates and myself, 1,020 have been for exophthalmic goiter.

This statement at once suggests the query, On what basis were the cases of exophthalmic goiter differentiated from the other forms of goiter? Our rule has been to class as exophthalmic goiter every case in which, at the time of operation, there are symptoms of increased basic metabolism not due to any current exciting cause, and in which these symptoms are relieved or cured by diminishing thyroid activity.

THE RÔLE OF THE THYROID IN EXOPHTHALMIC GOITER  Among our cases we have seen no normal thyroids, hyperplasia being present in about 70 per cent.; most of the remaining 30 per cent. being adenomas, with a few colloid goiters (Marine, Graham).That hyperplasia is not a cause but a concomitant effect of exophthalmic goiter is shown by the following

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×