This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
E. Z., male child, 7 months old, of Hungarian parentage, was brought to my office by the mother, who had been referred to me by Dr. E. P. Rabb, both suspecting that the child had swallowed a safety pin. She had found the child, which she had left lying on its back, on its abdomen, red and choking. These symptoms soon subsided. On examination no bruises, ulcers or hemorrhage could be found. The throat appeared perfectly normal. When given water, the child swallowed with apparent ease. Careful palpation along the larynx and pharynx could neither elicit pain nor outline any foreign body. The child vomited soon after nursing. The mother was sent home with the request to make a thorough search for the pin. She returned at 3 p. m. and reported that no pin had been found. The child had slept one and a half hours, but invariably vomited
Otrich GS. SAFETY PIN IN ESOPHAGUS OF YOUNG CHILD. JAMA. 1915;LXV(5):419. doi:10.1001/jama.1915.02580050047013
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: