[Skip to Navigation]
Article
July 22, 1911

ANAPHYLAXIS AND THE TOXIC SUBSTANCE FROM VIRULENT PNEUMOCOCCI

Author Affiliations

CHICAGO

From the Memorial Institute for Infectious Diseases. This work was aided by a grant from the American Medical Association.

JAMA. 1911;LVII(4):285. doi:10.1001/jama.1911.04260070289008

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

From a study of the action of autolytic extracts in NaCl solution of virulent pneumococci, it has been learned that they become very toxic to normal guineapigs at a certain period during autolysis. Intravenous or intracardiac injections of from 3 to 7 c.c. produce symptoms and post-mortem changes in every way typical of anaphylactic shock obtained in sensitized pigs following the second injection of protein. The symptoms usually begin before the injection is completed and death occurs in from two to ten minutes. Thus far, eight strains of virulent pneumococci have yielded this highly toxic substance. Early the extracts are only slightly toxic to normal animals, but very toxic to animals sensitized with extracts of pneumococci. At the end of from twenty-four to forty-eight hours at 37 C. (especially if ether has been added) or from four to ten days in the ice-box (without ether) they are very toxic to

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×