[Skip to Navigation]
Article
July 22, 1911

REMOVAL OF AN OPEN SAFETY-PIN FROM THE TRACHEA BY UPPER BRON-CHOSCOPY

Author Affiliations

PHILADELPHIA

JAMA. 1911;LVII(4):286. doi:10.1001/jama.1911.04260070290010

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The inhalation of an open safety-pin is a sufficiently rare accident to warrant the following brief report, and with one possible exception, the removal of an open safety-pin from the trachea by any other than a cutting operation seems not to have been mentioned in the literature.

Patient.  —A. S., a girl of 13 years, was referred to me by Dr. John Hoskins, Chester, Pa., May 8, 1911, with a history of having "swallowed" a safety-pin on the preceding day, while laughing with some of her friends.

Examination.  —The doctor reports having seen the child a half hour after the accident and having found her in a very nervous state, with slight aphonia, but suffering no pain or other inconvenience. The patient thought she could feel the pin just below the larynx in the region of the cricoid cartilage; but Dr. Hoskins failed to locate it by means of the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×