This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
On Dec. 3, 1910, Mrs. E., aged 28, drank a solution containing six 7½-grain tablets of mercuric chlorid. She vomited freely within five minutes; her stomach was washed at the end of thirty minutes, and in the interim she drank the whites of half a dozen eggs and two glasses of sweet oil. At the end of an hour she became unconscious and was removed to the hospital. Urine, drawn by catheter for the first time at the end of sixty-two hours, was bloody, four ounces in all. Patient was unable to take nourishment except by rectum, as everything taken by mouth was immediately expelled by vomiting.
A diffuse papular rash appeared over the entire surface of the body at the end of twenty-four hours; the left heart was dilated and sounds were weak; pulse, 120, weak, thready and of low tension; liver enlarged to about three fingers' breadth beneath
HERZSTEIN M, BAER A. CASE OF ACUTE MERCURIAL POISONING FOLLOWED BY GENERAL NECROSIS OF MAXILLARY BONES AND PURULENT OTITIS MEDIA. JAMA. 1912;LVIII(12):854. doi:10.1001/jama.1912.04260030252012
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: