This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
A man was bitten August 14 by a very large rattlesnake. For about thirty hours it seemed that he was about to succumb at any time, but he suddenly began to improve. He suffered intensely for twenty-four hours. The accompanying photograph was taken August 17, about eighty-two hours after the injury. There was only a little sloughing at the point of injection of the poison, but the man was incapacitated for work about thirty days. As to treatment, the arm was corded tightly, an abundance of whisky was given, and hypodermic injections of strychnin 1/40 g. ever forty-five minutes. He has gone to work and has a good arm.
GRESHAM WA. RATTLESNAKE BITE. JAMA. 1905;XLV(23):1735–1736. doi:10.1001/jama.1905.52510230035003
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: