[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 35.173.48.53. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 1, 1897

OPENING OF "THE WALTER GARRETT MEMORIAL BUILDING" OF THE PENNSYLVANIA HOSPITAL.PHILADELPHIA, APRIL 24, 1897.

JAMA. 1897;XXVIII(18):840-843. doi:10.1001/jama.1897.02440180026002f

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The managers of the Pennsylvania Hospital, having decided two years ago that the requirements of modern surgery demanded greater facilities than the hospital possessed at the time, appointed a committee to visit hospitals in other cities and confer with the surgeons of the institution with regard to necessary improvements. Under the guidance of Mr. Addison Hutton, architect, plans were drawn for important additions to the institution, and the work was energetically pushed to a conclusion. Through the liberality of a former president of the board, Mr. Wistar Morris, principally, the erection of a new series of buildings, upon the Spruce Street front, was undertaken and completed, which now contain the entire surgical division of the hospital. Last year, work on the remaining portion of the comprehensive plan was begun. The magnificent operating pavilion, receiving wards and children's wards, embodied in the large building known as the "Garrett Memorial," at the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×