A careful search through American ophthalmic literature reveals eight recorded cases of blindness following the ingestion of ginger. One case is reported by Archibald G. Thompson,1 of Philadelphia. Asst.-Surgeon J. B. Greene reports2 a case which appears to be one of the six carefully reported cases of Hiram Woods,3 of Baltimore.
The history of my case is as follows:
N. C. R., aged 36, contractor and builder, was first seen Sunday evening, Oct. 15, 1899, and appeared totally blind, requiring the services of a friend to lead him about.
He had been drinking heavily on Saturday and, on sobering up Sunday morning in a "dry" community where no liquor of any kind could be obtained, purchased from a storekeeper a box of a dozen bottles of Jamaica ginger, each containing about an ounce. The entire dozen were consumed before noon, the first four bottles diluted with water,
STIEREN E. AMBLYOPIA FOLLOWING THE INTOXICATING USE OF JAMAICA GINGER. SUBSEQUENT RECOVERY OF VISION. JAMA. 1901;XXXVI(1):34–35. doi:10.1001/jama.1901.52470010034001i
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: