[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
March 2, 1901

Accidental Vaccination.

JAMA. 1901;XXXVI(9):584. doi:10.1001/jama.1901.02470090048020

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Meadow Creek, W. Va., Feb. 21, 1901.

To the Editor:  —In the February number of Medicine, a case of vaccin infection was reported. I have seen a similar case. Some time last November a woman came to my office to show me a peculiar looking sore on her neck. I had recently vaccinated a number of persons, and, among them, three children in the family in which this woman was a nurse. On inquiry I found she had been scratched on the neck by one of the children, while taking care of it. She had never been vaccinated. The sore was a characteristic vaccination pustule. I was forced to the conclusion that the child had accidentally conveyed the vaccin from its arm to the neck of the nurse by its finger nails.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×