[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 31, 1902

A CASE IN WHICH A LARGE BONE CAVITY WAS HEALED BY MEANS OF THIERSCH GRAFTS.

JAMA. 1902;XXXVIII(22):1433-1434. doi:10.1001/jama.1902.62480220019001f

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Frank Mocha, a farmer aged 60, referred by Dr. Gilmore, was admitted to St. Joseph Hospital, Oct. 21, 1901. The patient had an acute suppurative osteomyelitis of the upper half of the left tibia, which was engrafted upon a chronic inflammation of the same character, which had been of two years' standing. He had the same trouble, in the same place, when six years of age. He was operated on the day after admission, and a very putrid suppurating focus was removed, which included the medulla and cancella of the greatly enlarged upper half of the bone. The erasion extended to the cartilages forming the knee joint. The cavernous portion of the excavation was large and about four cm. deep and three cm. wide. It was filled with pure carbolic acid, which was allowed to remain for about one minute; then the cavity was flushed out and filled with alcohol,

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×