This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Many groups, besides the Council on Medical Education, are actively concerned with various phases of the medical manpower problem, not only as it exists today, but as today's events influence tomorrow's demands.
The Council is concerned not only with the production of manpower for tomorrow's practice, but also with the trends and utilization of manpower as faculty in graduate educational programs. The annual report "Graduate Medical Education in the United States," contains tables on the characteristics of directors of medical education according to their specialty interest, as well as the status of residency program directors as full- or part-time employees.
A rather precise definition of full-time director of residency programs was supplied last year to the directors of the 4,930 approved residency programs; 2,964 programs (60%) have reported having such full-time directors. Sixty percent of the full-time directors were in hospitals affiliated with medical schools; the remaining 40% were in
MANPOWER IN GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION. JAMA. 1966;198(8):940. doi:10.1001/jama.1966.03110210190047
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: