Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
In 1942 Dr. Russell Fraser and his English collaborators, believing that neurotic illness was responsible for a considerable amount of absence from war work, undertook a study of the incidence of neurosis among factory workers. In all, 3,083 adult workers were examined in thirteen light or medium engineering factories in which over 30,000 workers were employed. This number examined represents 80 per cent of the original random sample. The other 20 per cent, for one reason or another, could not be examined. The inquiry was concerned with "recent" health and circumstances during a series of periods of six months between September 1942 and December 1944. The data collected provided information about the health of the workers in the engineering trade under stabilized wartime conditions. "Recent" referred to the past six months and "prewar" to the whole of the worker's prewar life. The term as used in the report concerned any
The Incidence of Neurosis Among Factory Workers. JAMA. 1948;137(5):493. doi:10.1001/jama.1948.02890390071031
Coronavirus Resource Center
Create a personal account or sign in to: