About JAMA Cardiology
Robert O. Bonow, MD, MS
JAMA Cardiology is an international peer-reviewed journal and the definitive journal for clinical investigators, clinicians, and trainees in cardiovascular medicine worldwide. JAMA Cardiology is a member of the JAMA Network family of journals, which includes JAMA, 11 JAMA Network specialty journals, and JAMA Network Open.
Journal Frequency and Access. JAMA Cardiology is published online weekly, every Wednesday, and in 12 print/online issues a year. The journal receives almost 1 million online visits annually and more than 1 million article views and downloads. Without any author fees, all research articles are made free access online 12 months after publication on the website. In addition, the online version is freely available or nearly so to institutions in developing countries through the World Health Organization's HINARI program.
Editorial Information. The journal's acceptance rate is 9% for research articles. The median time to first decision is 14 days, and 50 days with review. The journal's Impact Factor is 10.1, ranking among the highest of cardiology journals. All articles are published online first. Additional information on the types of articles published and editorial policies is available in the journal's Instructions for Authors.
Editorial Team. Robert O. Bonow, MD, MS, the Max and Lilly Goldberg Distinguished Professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, is the inaugural editor in chief of JAMA Cardiology. For a complete listing of the journal's Editors and Editorial Board, see link to Editors and Publishers below.
Mission Statement. JAMA Cardiology publishes exceptional original research, state-of-the-art reviews, and informative opinions that advance the science and practice of cardiology, enhance cardiovascular health, and inform health care policy. JAMA Cardiology will focus on all aspects of cardiovascular medicine, including epidemiology and prevention, diagnostic testing, interventional and pharmacologic therapeutics, translational research, health care policy and outcomes, and global health.
ISSN 2380-6583 (Print)
ISSN 2380-6591 (Online)
Back to top
Why Publish in JAMA Cardiology?
Building on a tradition of editorial excellence, the JAMA Network provides JAMA Cardiology authors the impact and reach of JAMA and JAMA Network specialty journals as well as prompt decisions and rapid publication and author-focused services.
Impact and Reach
- Impact Factor of 10.1, ranking among the highest of cardiology journals
- JAMA Cardiology reaches more than 25,000 cardiologists each week
- Nearly 1 million annual visits to the JAMA Cardiology website; over 1 million article views and downloads
- International authors: 39% of submissions come from outside the United States
- Extensive press coverage, with 4476 media mentions in 2017 in outlets such as The New York Times, Washington Post, Reuters, and Wall Street Journal
- Top Altmetric scores — JAMA Cardiology published 9 of the top 50 papers among cardiology journals, including the No. 1 article
- Number of citations, Altmetric score, page views, and PDF downloads tracked for your published article
- Broad reach through related commentary, author audio interviews, email alerts, Twitter, and Facebook
Prompt Decisions and Rapid Publication Timelines
- Highly selective peer review and editorial evaluation, with 9% acceptance rate for research articles
- Time to first decision: 14 days without external peer review; 50 days with review
- Fast publication: Complete editing, formatting, and publication within 54 days of acceptance
- Expedited review and publication for important clinical trials and research
- Online First publication of all articles
offers unparalleled reach and an author-friendly approach, from manuscript submission through publication.
- User-friendly manuscript submission system and process
- Prompt, expert review and consideration from our experienced editors
- Highest standards followed to improve your accepted manuscript's accuracy, reliability, and readability
- CME credit available for lead authors who publish in JAMA Cardiology
- Opportunity for your work to be augmented with video, audio, and professional graphics and illustrations
- Free public access: All research articles are free 12 months after publication on the journal's website
- Open access: Authors of eligible research articles may elect to pay for immediate open access on the day of publication
- Direct deposit to PubMed Central: All research articles deposited directly in PubMed Central (PMC) for authors
- Online extras: ability to post supplemental content online and download your article's tables and figures as PowerPoint slides
- The JAMA Network advantage: Authors of papers not accepted by JAMA may have the option to have their papers and reviewers' comments referred to one of the JAMA Network specialty journals and/or JAMA Network Open
- Dedicated media team to promote your article to the news media and on social media
For more information, see JAMA Cardiology Instructions for Authors. Submit your manuscript at https://manuscripts.jamacardio.com.
Back to top
Updated September 2018