[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
July 1940

THE SKIN AND CANCER UNIT OF THE NEW YORK POST-GRADUATE MEDICAL SCHOOL AND HOSPITAL, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITYA HISTORICAL REVIEW

Arch Derm Syphilol. 1940;42(1):112-122. doi:10.1001/archderm.1940.01490130116014
Abstract

The signing on Aug. 30, 1934 of articles of agreement and affiliation between the New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital, Columbia University, and the Stuyvesant Square Hospital (formerly the New York Skin and Cancer Hospital) marked an event of importance in American dermatology. The merger was a logical one, as the New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital, one of the oldest graduate schools in the country, and the New York Skin and Cancer Hospital, since its inception the largest dermatologic clinic in America, frequently indulged in the interchange of clinicians and teachers even in their early years. As early as 1885 Dr. George Henry Fox held classes at the New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital for several years before receiving an appointment as professor; and during that time he was an attending physician at the New York Skin and Cancer Hospital and was teaching at the College

×