ONE HUNDRED years ago the Vienna Medical School was honored by the presence of three men of worldwide reputation: Karl von Rokitansky, professor of pathology; Joseph Skoda, professor of internal medicine and Ferdinand von Hebra, professor of dermatology.
Ferdinand von Hebra was born on Sept. 7, 1816, and received his degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Vienna in 1841. Two of his teachers, Kolletschka, a friend of Semmelweis, and Karl von Rokitansky, both pathologists, had a great influence on Hebra's career. After graduation Hebra became an intern in internal medicine under the direction of the famous Skoda, at the Wiener allgemeines Krankenhaus. At that time there was no special department of dermatology in Vienna. Patients with skin diseases were isolated in a room called the ``Scabiesstation.'' Skoda advised young Hebra to devote himself to the study of these diseases at this ``Kraetzestation.'' The cruel treatment of these