[Skip to Navigation]
Article
August 1958

A Survey of Lupus Erythematosus in the University of Michigan Hospital Since 1948

Author Affiliations

Redlands, Calif.; Ann Arbor, Mich.

From the Department of Dermatology and Syphilology, University of Michigan Medical School (Arthur C. Curtis, M.D., Professor and Chairman), and the University Hospital, University of Michigan. Formerly Clinical Instructor, Department of Dermatology and Syphilology, University of Michigan Medical School; now associated with The Beaver Medical Clinic (Dr. Cannon).

AMA Arch Derm. 1958;78(2):196-199. doi:10.1001/archderm.1958.01560080056009
Abstract

With the discovery of the lupus-erythematosus-cell phenomenon in 1948 by Hargraves et al.,1 the study of lupus erythematosus (hereafter L. E.) gained tremendous impetus. Not only was the diagnosis of this most interesting disease greatly facilitated; a much broader concept of it was formulated, based partly on some previous ideas concerning its protean nature2-5 as well as an improvement in modern methods of study. The allusion to methods of study applies not only to those done in the laboratory but to the clinical and historical approach as well. Whereas until fairly recently most of our general knowledge about L. E. was derived from records, with their inherent deficiencies, the best work in that particular field is now being done by studies of the natural history of the disease as it unfolds under direct observation.6-9 This latter method compensates very well for the

Add or change institution
×