(Eczematous Occupational Dermatitis). By C. L. Meneghini, Editor, Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia. Price, not given. Pp 185, 60 illustrations, some in color. Dermatologic Clinic, University of Milano, Milano, Italy, 1961.
This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
In this monograph from the Dermatologic Clinic of the University of Milan, Italy, occupational dermatoses are discussed according to their morphologic varieties, occurrence in various professions, and means of sensitization. The importance of whether contact sensitization is on normal skin or skin damaged by trauma, disease, or chemicals is considered, as well as inhalant allergens and cross sensitization.
Of the 1,010 cases of occupational dermatoses, 88% were eczematous reactions and the remaining 12% included various cutaneous inflammations, folliculitis, melanodermas, neoplasia, erythematosquamous and bullous reactions. The most common cause of dermatitis was attributed to be contact with cement, followed by varnishes, plastics, nickel-chrome, and lithographic materials. Eczematous skin reactions may also be due to inhalants, dust, or foods. Photosensitization occurs frequently with anthraquinones and its derivatives, with acridine, hydrocarbons, and others.
The occupational skin reactions, with clinical descriptions and analysis of etiologic factors, are thoroughly discussed in relation to plasterers, cement
Ronchese F, Pardo-Castello V. Le dermatiti eczematose profesionali. Arch Dermatol. 1963;88(3):367. doi:10.1001/archderm.1963.01590210125020
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: