This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor.—
In his article, "Eczematous Dermatitis Caused by Internal Exposure to Copper" (Arch Dermatol 106:386-387, 1972), Vincent P. Barranco, MD, states:In a current general textbook of dermatology and one of contact dermatitis (referring to Fisher AA: Contact Dermatitis. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger Publishers, 1967) the subject of eczematous dermatitis following internal exposure to metals is not mentioned.I must point out that if Dr. Barranco had happened upon page 238 of my book, he would have read:Individuals who have been sensitized to mercury occasionally show eczematous exacerbations where mercury amalgam fillings are used. Such flare-ups may be due to absorption of minute quantities of mercury from the filling. The removal of mercury amalgam fillings has been reported as clearing recalcitrant eczemas in mercury-sensitive individuals.