To the Editor.—
With reference to the article by Shewmake and Anderson1 on hydrofluoric acid burns, I have seen a case that corroborates the apparent predilection for subungual tissues.
Report of a Case.—
A 70-year-old cleaning woman, wearing rubber gloves, had been washing a tiled floor with a mixture of detergents and rust-removing agents containing hydrofluoric acid. After an hour on the job, she became aware of a pricking sensation in the tip of her right forefinger, where a hole had appeared in the glove. This was succeeded by a burning sensation so intense that she sought relief by holding the finger under cold running water. The burning worsened and the painful throbbing was so excruciating as to necessitate administration of various analgesics, but these gave no relief.I saw her the following day and observed slight bluish-green discoloration through the distal half of the nail plate (Fig 1).
Baran R. Acute Onycholysis From RustRemoving Agents. Arch Dermatol. 1980;116(4):382–383. doi:10.1001/archderm.1980.01640280018006
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: