[Skip to Navigation]
September 1994

Solomon's Epidermal Nevus Syndrome (Type: Linear Nevus Sebaceus) and Hypophosphatemic Vitamin D—Resistant Rickets

Author Affiliations

From the Subdivisions of Pediatric Dermatology (Dr Oranje), Pediatrics (Drs Przyrembel and de Klerk), Pediatric Radiology (Dr Meradji), and Child Neurology (Dr Loonen), Erasmus University and University Hospital Rotterdam/Dijkzigt-Sophia Children's Hospital, the Netherlands. Dr Przyrembel is currently with the Bundesgesundheitsamt Max von Pettenkofer-Institute, Berlin, Germany.

Arch Dermatol. 1994;130(9):1167-1171. doi:10.1001/archderm.1994.01690090091013

Background:  Epidermal nevus syndrome is very variable in symptoms and associated abnormalities. Synonyms of this syndrome are linear nevus sebaceus syndrome or Schimmelpenning-Feuerstein-Mims syndrome or Solomon syndrome. The combination with vitamin D—resistant rickets is rare and only sporadically described. Less than 10 cases with this combination of symptoms have been described in the literature.

Observations:  We describe a boy suffering from epidermal nevus syndrome (type: nevus sebaceus). This child also presented with severe rickets with hyperphosphaturia, resistant to vitamin D. Our patient was seen in consultation at birth, but after a delay of 4 years we were consulted again for a second opinion and treatment; thevitamin D—resistant rickets was recognized. Treatment with 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3 and phosphorus resulted in healing of rickets. Removal of parts of the tumors did not influence the rickets. This is in contrast with a formerly described case. Removal of fibroangiomas led in that case to normalization of the alkaline phosphatase, calcium, and phosphate serum levels.

Conclusions:  The rickets results from massive phosphate excretion by defective renal tubular reabsorption of phosphate. In all patients described, rickets developed at an early age. Clinical symptoms were marked bone abnormalities, muscle weakness, and bone pain.(Arch Dermatol. 1994;130:1167-1171)

Add or change institution