About JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery
John S. Rhee, MD, MPH
JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery is an international peer-reviewed journal that focuses on advances in reconstructive and aesthetic procedures to improve patients' quality of life, and encourages a deeper understanding of the basic sciences related to facial development and wound healing. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery is the official publication for the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Inc, the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, and the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery is a member of the JAMA Network family of journals, which includes JAMA, 11 JAMA Network specialty journals, and JAMA Network Open.
Journal Frequency and Access. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery is published online weekly, every Thursday, and in 6 print/online issues a year. The journal receives over 600,000 online visits annually, and more than 850,000 article views and downloads. Without any author fees, all research articles are made free access online 12 months after publication on the website. In addition, the online version is freely available or nearly so to institutions in developing countries through the World Health Organization's HINARI program.
Editorial Information. The journal’s acceptance rate is 22%. The median time to first decision is 2 days, and 34 days with review. The journal's Impact Factor is 2.4, one of the highest in the disciplines of aesthetic and reconstructive surgery. All articles are published online first. Additional information on the types of articles published and editorial policies is available in the journal's Instructions for Authors.
Editorial Team. John S. Rhee, MD, MPH, John C. Koss Professor and Chairman, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, is the editor in chief. For a complete listing of the journal's Editors and Editorial Board, see link to Editors and Publishers below.
Mission Statement: JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery is a multispecialty journal whose key mission is to provide facial plastic surgeons the most accurate and innovative information available to enhance their patients' quality of life. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery will strive to
- Promote the art and science of facial plastic surgery by publishing significant peer-reviewed articles on all aspects of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery of the head and neck
- Promote the education and contributions of physicians worldwide
- Provide a forum to present important and relevant issues in ethics and public policy
JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery
ISSN 2168-6076 (Print)
ISSN 2168-6092 (Online)
Back to top
Why Publish in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery?
JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery publishes innovative, clinically relevant research on advances in reconstructive and aesthetic procedures to improve patients’ quality of life.
Impact and Reach
- Impact Factor of 2.4, one of the highest in the disciplines of aesthetic and reconstructive surgery
- Over 600,000 annual visits to the JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery website; more than 850,000 article views and downloads
- International authors: 37% of submissions come from outside the United States
- Extensive press coverage, with 5,026 mentions in 2018 in outlets such as CBS News, The New York Times, Forbes, The Washington Post, and CNET
- Top Altmetric scores—JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery published 13 of the top 50 articles among facial plastic surgery journals
- Number of citations, Altmetric score, page views, and downloads tracked for your published article
- Broad reach through related commentary, author audio interviews, podcasts, email alerts, social media, multimedia, and more than 14,500 followers on Twitter and Facebook
Prompt Decisions and Rapid Publication Timelines
- Highly selective peer review and editorial evaluation, with 22% acceptance rate for all submissions
- Median time to first decision: 2 days without external peer review; 34 days with review
- Median time from acceptance to publication: 88 days
- Online First publication of all articles
- User-friendly manuscript submission system and process
- Prompt, expert review and consideration from our experienced editors
- Highest standards followed to improve your accepted manuscript's accuracy, reliability, and readability
- CME credit available for lead authors who publish in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery
- Opportunity for your work to be augmented with expert illustration, interactive features, video, audio, and visual abstract
- Free public access: All research articles are free 12 months after publication on the journal's website
- Open access: Authors of research articles may elect to pay for immediate open access on the day of publication
- Direct deposit to PubMed Central: All research articles deposited directly in PubMed Central (PMC) for authors
- Online extras: Ability to post supplemental content online and download your article's tables and figures as PowerPoint slides
- The JAMA Network advantage: Authors of papers not accepted by JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery may have the option to have their papers and reviewers' comments automatically referred to one of the JAMA Network specialty journals and/or JAMA Network Open
- Dedicated media team to promote your article to the news media and on social media
For more information, see JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery Instructions for Authors. Submit your manuscript at https://manuscripts.jamafacial.com.
Back to top
Updated March 2019