A woman in her 50s with no medical problems presented to the emergency department with complaints of chest burning, shortness of breath, diffuse paresthesias, and dizziness. She was in her normal state of health until an hour after drinking a home-brewed tea containing leaves and roots prescribed by a Chinese herbalist. She had normal mental status and vital signs. Seventeen minutes after arrival, the patient complained of feeling worse. An ECG was obtained (Figure 1).
Vo KT, Tabas JA, Smollin CG. Alternating Ventricular Complexes After Overdose From an Herbal Medication. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(8):1199–1201. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.1839
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: