[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
August 1932


Author Affiliations


From the Section on Cardiology, the Mayo Clinic.

Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1932;50(2):184-191. doi:10.1001/archinte.1932.00150150016002

Calcification of the pericardium, also called "pericarditis calculosa, "concretio pericardii," "armored heart" and so forth, has been described by pathologists for many years. Scholz1 mentioned that Morgagni published a report of a case of calcification of the myocardium in 1762, that Bordenave described a case in 1768, and that Simmons and Watson in 1783 published a report of a case, with an illustration. Schwartz,2 in 1910, was probably the first to recognize this condition in the course of the life of the patient; he employed roentgenologic methods. Groedel3 described a case in 1912 in which he made the diagnosis before death. A review of the literature by Case,4 up to 1923, disclosed that in thirteen instances the condition had been recognized in the course of the life of the patient. Since Case's review, there have been reported in the literature twenty-one additional cases in which the