The dangers of carbon tetrachloride and its popularity in commercial preparations have been stressed recently.1 Many cases of industrial and accidental poisoning have been reported,2 but laboratory data on actual cases comparable to those available from experimental studies on animals is still lacking.3 The case reported here is presented to illustrate the important changes in the plasma lipids observed in a case of severe damage to the liver.
REPORT OF A CASE
—An unemployed white man 38 years old, for eight years accustomed to drink about 2 pints (946.3 cc.) of ethyl alcohol once or twice weekly, was admitted to the Boston City Hospital eight hours after drinking 4 or 5 ounces (118 to 148 cc.) of pure carbon tetrachloride mistaken for ethyl alcohol.There was no untoward reaction for three hours; then vomiting occurred immediately after eating, followed by intermittent periods of mental cloudiness and
LEHNHERR ER. ACUTE CARBON TETRACHLORIDE POISONING: REPORT OF A CASE. Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1935;56(1):98–104. doi:10.1001/archinte.1935.03920010106007
Browse and subscribe to JAMA Network podcasts!
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: