[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 18.204.227.250. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
January 1937

ESSENTIAL THROMBOPHILIA: REPORT OF FIVE CASES

Author Affiliations

Fellow in Surgery, the Mayo Foundation; ROCHESTER, MINN.

Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1937;59(1):82-106. doi:10.1001/archinte.1937.00170170088006
Abstract

There are three well defined occlusive diseases of the arteries: thrombo-angiitis obliterans, thrombo-arteriosclerosis obliterans and occlusion due to embolism.1 In our experience 95 per cent of the cases of occlusive disease of the arteries are accounted for by these three diseases. In the remaining 5 per cent are included a small number of unusual forms of obliterative arteritis, types which at present are of greater pathologic than clinical interest: aneurysm with thrombosis, cervical rib with thrombosis of the peripheral artery and an irregular form, present in a small number of cases, which for lack of a better term has been designated simple thrombosis.2 It was recognized that the last-mentioned group of diseases probably represented a clinical entity, but until a sufficient number of cases were observed, the pathologic picture was studied and the course of the disease was followed over a period of years it would be impossible

×