[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 1959

A History of the Department of Internal Medicine, State University of Iowa, College of Medicine, 1870-1958.

AMA Arch Intern Med. 1959;103(4):674-675. doi:10.1001/archinte.1959.00270040160021

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

This book, which can comfortably be read through in an hour, will reward the reader with a quick and authoritative glimpse of the unfolding of medicine in the Midwest during the last century. While the focus is on Iowa City, the story of the efforts of a succession of dedicated doctors working diligently to bring good medicine to the heartland of America, has counterparts in Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago, St. Louis, and the other medical centers of the region. In a day when the start of any ambitious medical venture—be it research, teaching, disease prevention, or whatever—begins with a consideration of the dollars, tools, and space required it is heartening to recall that our forebears began their enterprises, with the gathering together of "... able men, some of great learning and even genius." The distinguished medical school now fluorishing in Iowa City had its beginning in Davenport, Iowa, in 1849, when

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×