Porphyria cutanea tarda was detected in a 44-year-old janitress. The illness was probably caused by the unintentional synthesis of a polychlorinated phenol as a result of mixing commonly available household ingredients in toilet bowls and shower stalls. Although the evidence for this hypothesis is circumstantial, its likelihood and the widespread household use of these reagents justify calling attention to the innovative misuse of disinfectants as a potential source of toxic exposure.
Lynch RE, Lee GR, Kushner JP. Porphyria Cutanea Tarda Associated With Disinfectant Misuse. Arch Intern Med. 1975;135(4):549–552. doi:10.1001/archinte.1975.00330040061009
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: