[Skip to Navigation]
September 1985

Is a Smokeless Society by 2000 Achievable?

Author Affiliations

Department of Health and Human Services Rockville, MD 20857

Arch Intern Med. 1985;145(9):1581. doi:10.1001/archinte.1985.00360090045004

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.


In May 1984, I threw down a challenge to the physicians, other health providers, and all citizens of our country. I said that I truly believed it is possible for us to attain a smoke-free society in the United States by the year 2000, and I asked them to join me in reaching for this goal. I said that it was something that ought to be done, something that could be done, and something I believe will be done.

Today, I am more confident than ever. I base this feeling, more than on anything else, on the enthusiastic, positive response I have received from my fellow physicians in hundreds of letters, telephone calls, and personal meetings.

In my talk before the American Lung Association in Miami, I pointed out that fewer than 10% of physicians smoke, while the other more than 90% of us are models for a healthy life-style.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
Add or change institution