• In this prospective, population-based study of 594 cases of newly diagnosed epilepsy, proportions in categories as defined by the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) were as follows: (1) localization-related epilepsies: 1.1* idiopathic, 1.2%; 1.2* symptomatic, 16.2%; and 1.3 cryptogenic, 24.6%; (2) generalized epilepsies: 2.1* idiopathic (idiopathic generalized epilepsy) with 3-Hz spike and wave: absence epilepsy, 2.2%;juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, 1.5%; and nonspecific idiopathic generalized epilepsy, 5.6%; 2.3.1* symptomatic generalized epilepsies, 1.5%; 2.3.2* specific syndromes with generalized epilepsy, 0.3%; 3.2 seizures without unequivocal focal or generalized features, 32%; 4.1 situation-related syndromes, isolated seizures, 9.9%; seizures due to acute toxic or metabolic cause,* 4.5%. Only 33.6% were in diagnostic ILAE categories (asterisks) and many rare syndromes were not represented. The remainder (66.4%) were in various nonspecific categories. Only 24% of localization-related epilepsies could be clinically localized to a single ILAE-proposed site of origin and of these best localized cases, 14% had strongly discordant imaging or electroencephalograms. These major problems in applying the ILAE classification to epilepsy in the general population and its underemphasis of modern imaging techniques are discussed.
Manford M, Hart YM, Sander JWAS, Shorvon SD. The National General Practice Study of Epilepsy: The Syndromic Classification of the International League Against Epilepsy Applied to Epilepsy in a General Population. Arch Neurol. 1992;49(8):801–808. doi:10.1001/archneur.1992.00530320025008
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: