The History of Moorfields Eye Hospital, Volume 3: Forty Years On by Peter K. Leaver is the third volume in a series documenting the illustrious history of Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. John Cunningham Saunders, along with John Richard Farre and Richard Battley, established the London Dispensary for Curing Diseases of the Eye and Ear, which opened on March 25, 1805. The present text picks up the history in 1963. It documents what has occurred over the last 40 years and carefully dissects the various forces and influences that have dictated its present course. The reader is struck by the turbulent political and financial times that the hospital endured recently. Furthermore, while reading Leaver’s delightful account, one comes to understand the glorious nature of the hospital. It becomes apparent why the Moorfields name is synonymous with ophthalmic excellence worldwide.
The History of Moorfields Eye Hospital, Volume 3: Forty Years On. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123(6):875–876. doi:10.1001/archopht.123.6.875