[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1931

Report of the Chengtu Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Chengtu, West China, 1929-1930.

Arch Ophthalmol. 1931;6(6):964-965. doi:10.1001/archopht.1931.00820070995017

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

This mission hospital was organized in 1928, and work was begun in 1929, in buildings previously used for a women and children's clinic. The hospital is the teaching and clinical unit for ophthalmology and otolaryngology of the West China Union University. Dr. R. A. Peterson, who is director of the hospital, is head of both departments in the university and has associated with him Dr. Lo and Dr. Lu. Dr. E. R. Cunningham has recently been sent out from Moorfields Hospital to develop especially the work in ophthalmology.

The outpatient department receives more than 50,000 visits, and the hospital houses 1,000 patients annually. The ophthalmologic department is well equipped with modern instruments for diagnosis and treatment, including the Gullstrand ophthalmoscope, the slit-lamp and the irradiation lamp.

In spite of some radical agitation, culminating in a severe knife wound inflicted by a patient on Dr. Peterson, the community as

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×