[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 1935

RETURN OF SYMPTOMS AFTER SUCCESSFUL REMOVAL OF A PITUITARY TUMOR: COMPLETE RESTORATION OF CENTRAL AND PERIMETRIC VISION BY MEDICAL TREATMENT

Author Affiliations

POCATELLO, IDAHO

Arch Ophthalmol. 1935;13(5):819-822. doi:10.1001/archopht.1935.00840050097008

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The trend of present-day treatment of pituitary hyperplasia is undoubtedly surgical, for while roentgen irradiation and medical procedures have been and are still being employed and favorable reports from reliable sources have appeared from time to time, physicians seem reluctant to accept these results at their face value, to give them the serious consideration they seem to deserve and to encourage further research in this direction.

Certainly this attitude is not due to the infallibility of radical surgical measures, for although the mortality from either transphenoidal or transfrontal hypophysectomy is probably less than 5 per cent when these operations are performed by expert neurosurgeons, it is equally true that only 20 per cent of the patients retain useful vision more than five years after operation, and that of the remaining 80 per cent many either show no improvement after the operation or, following more or less marked improvement,

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×