[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1935

HISTORY OF THE HERMAN KNAPP MEMORIAL EYE HOSPITAL

Arch Ophthalmol. 1935;14(6):909-913. doi:10.1001/archopht.1935.00840120047005
Abstract

Dr. Herman Knapp came to this country in 1868, at the age of 36, after he had given up the position of professor of ophthalmology in Heidelberg, where he had founded the University Ophthalmologic Clinic. As the positions which were offered to him in the hospitals in New York were not attractive, he decided to open an institution modeled after the von Graefe Clinic in Berlin. That consisted in an outpatient department, the so-called polyclinic, where those who were unable to pay were seen by the chief surgeon aided by a group of assistants, and a hospital department for patients with serious conditions requiring operative or hospital treatment. The patients admitted to the hospital paid according to their means, and the fees for the operations went to the operating surgeons. As both the eye and the ear were treated by the same specialists in New York at that

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×