[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1936

THE TENNENT CHAIR AND THE TENNENT MEMORIAL INSTITUTE OF OPHTHALMOLOGY, GLASGOW

Arch Ophthalmol. 1936;16(6):927-930. doi:10.1001/archopht.1936.00840240027002

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Clinical ophthalmology has been taught in Glasgow since Dr. William MacKenzie and his colleague, Dr. George Monteith, in 1824, were instrumental in founding the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, and a lectureship in the subject was instituted by Glasgow University in 1828. This lectureship was held in succession by Dr. William MacKenzie (1828-1868), Dr. George Rainy (1868-1869) and Dr. Thomas Reid (1869-1900) and after an interval of eleven years by Dr. A. Maitland Ramsay (1911-1920) and myself (1920-1935).

The lecturer occupied a somewhat anomalous position. In the first place, the university had no special lecture rooms or laboratories for ophthalmology; second, ophthalmology, for purposes of graduation, was essentially a clinical subject, and systematic lectures formed no necessary part of the students' course ; third, qualifying courses in Ophthalmology could be conducted not only by the university lecturer but also by the other surgeons of the special hospitals (the Eye Infirmary and

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×