This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The Ukrainian Institute for Experimental Ophthalmology is to continue the work begun by Professor Filatoff in the Institute of Medicine in Odessa. The new institute is to contain a clinic service of 100 beds, 6 laboratories and an experimental studio. The institute has been open since Sept. 1, 1936, and this report tells of the work during four months.
One hundred and fifteen patients have been treated in the institute and the following 112 operations have been done: 62 transplantations of the cornea, 27 operations for glaucoma and 23 other operations.
The problems which have been studied during this period have concerned the transplantation of the cornea. Professor Filatoff has been transplanting corneas for many years and has always used eyes obtained from living patients, but the large demand and the insufficient supply of material for transplantation have led him to take eyes from cadavers. Since 1931 he has
Arnold Knapp. Report of the Ukrainian Institute for Experimental Ophthalmology, 1936, Odessa.. Arch Ophthalmol. 1938;19(1):158–159. doi:10.1001/archopht.1938.00850130170022