This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor:
—I have had an unusual and frightening experience. I was smoking a cigarette and laid it down on the table while I was tying my shoes. All of a sudden the cigarette contacted the rims of my glasses and they exploded, and the whole room caught fire and was in flames, within one minute's time. The frames exploded with such force that it startled me, and I called at once for help—that there was a fire in my room.I am writing of this experience as I do not think any optical company should be allowed to sell frames that are inflammable, and I thought it would be well to call your attention to this terrible experience.
W. C. Behen. PLASTIC SPECTACLE FRAMES AND FIRE HAZARDS. Arch Ophthalmol. 1963;69(6):837. doi:10.1001/archopht.1963.00960040843031