This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
One of the most significant ophthalmic meetings this spring was that of the Wilmer Residents' Association. This year's meeting was highlighted by the dedication of a new and major research facility, appropriately called the Alan C. Woods Research Building. Comprising approximately 40,000 square feet of research space and housing the Jonas C. Friedenwald Library, this is the most modern and most spacious abode for ophthalmic research in this country.
Under the able and vigorous direction of Dr. A. E. Maumenee, nearly $2 million were collected for this undertaking. Research to Prevent Blindness, Inc., provided assistance in fund raising and initial support for a five-year period; the Odd Fellows Foundation endowed a professorship in ophthalmic research; numerous other foundations and individuals contributed generously; and the National Institutes of Health gave the usual parental assistance on a matching basis. The result has been an impressive commitment to the future of ophthalmic research
D. G. C.. Woods-Friedenwald Memorial. Arch Ophthalmol. 1964;72(2):153. doi:10.1001/archopht.1964.00970020153004