ONE HUNDRED years ago, in the spring of 1869, the medical community received a prospectus that told of plans to publish a new journal devoted to ophthalmology and otology. The publisher proposed to issue two numbers a year, each containing 250 to 300 pages, and the two numbers were to form one volume. Because of the true international character of medical science, it had been decided to publish the journal simultaneously at New York and Carlsruhe, in the English and German languages (Fig 2 and 3). The name of the English language version was to be Archives of Ophthalmology and Otology; its German language counterpart was to be Archiv für Augen- und Ohrenheilkunde. The editor and publisher was to be Prof H. Knapp, MD, of New York City, and his associate was to be Prof S. Moos of Heidelberg, Germany. The subscription price was $7 per annum, payable in advance.