To the Editor.
—We read with interest the article by Lessner et al1 reporting a case of Vibrio conjunctivitis in a man who had handled shellfish fragments. Tallahassee (Fla) Memorial Regional Medical Center provides care for the employees of a diverse seafood industry on the Gulf Coast of Florida. We have had the opportunity to see two patients in the past ten years whose ocular problems may add more support to the conclusions of Lessner et al.
Report of Cases.
—A 21-year-old oyster shucker was struck by a small fragment of shell in the eye while she was working. Treatment with an antibiotic ointment in her local community failed to resolve her complaints of increasing pain, and when examined six days later in our hospital, she was found to have a typicalappearing, superior peripheral, bacterial corneal ulcer. No hypopyon was present. Cultures were taken, gram-negative rods
Harris JL, Kramer J, Skilling FC. Vibrio Conjunctivitis. Arch Ophthalmol. 1985;103(7):890–891. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/archopht.1985.01050070016008
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: