To the Editor.
—There have been many accounts of accidental ocular instillation of cyanoacrylate adhesives.1,2 In 1982, a similarity in packaging of ophthalmic medications and the adhesive containers was noted to be a consumer safety problem.1 This case will illustrate that, five years later, this consumer safety problem still exists.See also pp 1029 and 1033.
Report of a Case.
—A 38-year-old woman was referred from a local emergency department to my office after accidentally putting instant nail glue into her left eye. She had been taking gentamicin sulfate drops to treat conjunctivitis, and had inadvertently mixed up the bottles, which looked similar to her.In the emergency room she was treated for a corneal abrasion with cycloplegia and a pressure patch, and then was sent to my office.On examination, visual acuity was 20/20 OD and 20/50 OS. The left pupil was fixed and dilated secondary to
Silverman CM. Corneal Abrasion From Accidental Instillation of Cyanoacrylate Into the Eye. Arch Ophthalmol. 1988;106(8):1029–1030. doi:10.1001/archopht.1988.01060140181004
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: