About JAMA Ophthalmology
Neil M. Bressler, MD
JAMA Ophthalmology, published continuously since 1869, is an international, peer-reviewed ophthalmology and visual science journal. JAMA Ophthalmology is a member of the JAMA Network family of journals, which includes JAMA, 11 JAMA Network specialty journals, and JAMA Network Open.
Journal Frequency and Access. JAMA Ophthalmology is published weekly online, every Thursday, and in 12 print/online issues per year. The journal receives more than 1.4 million online visits annually, with 2.2 million article views and downloads. Without any author fees, all research articles are made free access online 12 months after publication on the website. In addition, the online version is freely available or nearly so to institutions in developing countries through the World Health Organization's HINARI program.
Editorial Information. JAMA Ophthalmology's acceptance rate is 20% of the more than 1200 manuscripts submitted annually. The median time to first editorial decision is 5 days, and 41 days with peer review. Median time from submission to acceptance, including author revision, is 85 days, and from acceptance to publication is 57 days. All major articles are published online first. The journal's Impact Factor is 6.7, one of the highest among ophthalmology journals. For additional information on the types of articles published and editorial policies, see the journal's Instructions for Authors.
Editorial Team. The editor of JAMA Ophthalmology is Neil M. Bressler, MD. For a complete listing of the journal's Editors and Editorial Board, see link to Editors and Publishers below.
Mission Statement: To be the indispensable source of ophthalmic knowledge for the generalist, subspecialist, and trainee; to publish innovative, clinically relevant research for the vision scientist; to be the first choice for authors to submit their important manuscripts to; and to achieve this through authoritative peer review.
ISSN 2168-6165 (Print)
ISSN 2168-6173 (Online)
Back to top
Why Publish in JAMA Ophthalmology?
JAMA Ophthalmology publishes innovative, clinically relevant research in vision science.
Impact and Reach
- Impact Factor of 6.7, one of the highest among ophthalmology journals
- More than 1.4 million annual visits to the JAMA Ophthalmology website with more than 2.2 million article views and downloads
- Extensive press coverage, with 7,102 media mentions in 2016 in news outlets including The New York Times, USA Today, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, CBS News, NPR, and Reuters
- Top Altmetric scores among ophthalmology journals—JAMA Ophthalmology has 52% (26) of the top 50 articles with Altmetric scores (measure of news and social media coverage)
- Number of citations, Altmetric score, article views and downloads tracked for your published article
- Broad reach through author audio and video interviews, email alerts, Twitter, Facebook, and Topic Collections
- International authors: 62% of submissions come from outside the United States; the acceptance rate for non-US submissions is 10%
Prompt Decisions and Rapid Publication Timelines
Every submission to JAMA Ophthalmology undergoes prompt, rigorous review by our experienced editors.
- Highly selective peer review and editorial evaluation, with a 13% acceptance rate for research manuscripts
- Median time to first decision: 5 days; 41 days with peer review
- Median time from submission to acceptance is 85 days; time from acceptance to publication is 57 days
- Online first publication of all articles
- Rapid publication of clinical trials, including those from the Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS), AREDS2, Comparison of AMD Treatment Trials (CATT), Corneal Donor Study, Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network, Early Treatment for Retinopathy of Prematurity Cooperative Group, Infant Aphakia Treatment Study Group, MARINA and ANCHOR investigators, Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study Group, Pediatric Eye Disease Investigators Group, RESTORE, RIDE and RISE investigators, SCORE Study Group, VIVD and VISTA investigators
JAMA Ophthalmology offers unparalleled reach and an author-friendly approach, from manuscript submission through publication.
- User-friendly manuscript submission system and process
- Prompt, expert review and consideration from our experienced editors
- Highest standards followed to improve your accepted manuscript's accuracy, reliability, and readability
- CME credit available for lead authors who publish in JAMA Ophthalmology
- Opportunity for your work to be augmented with video, audio, and professional graphics and illustrations
- Free public access: All research articles are free 12 months after publication on the journal's website
- Open access: Authors of research articles may elect to pay for immediate open access on the day of publication
- Direct deposit to PubMed Central: All research articles deposited directly in PubMed Central (PMC) for authors
- Online extras: Ability to post supplemental content online and download your article's tables and figures as PowerPoint slides
- The JAMA Network advantage: Authors of papers not accepted by JAMA may have the option to have their papers and reviewers' comments automatically referred to one of the JAMA Network specialty journals and/or JAMA Network Open
- Authors of ophthalmology papers accepted by JAMA may have related commentaries in JAMA Ophthalmology
- Dedicated media team to promote your article to the news media and on social media
For more information, see JAMA Ophthalmology Instructions for Authors. Submit your manuscript at https://manuscripts.jamaophth.com.
Back to top
Updated September 2018