Author Affiliations: Departments of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center (Drs McLarty and Krishnan), and Children's Hospital, Loma Linda University (Dr Rowe), Loma Linda, California. Dr Rowe is now with the Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Children's Hospital Central California, Madera.
Disk (or button) battery ingestion is not uncommon, with an estimated US incidence of 2 to 8 per million annually.1 Reported serious adverse sequelae include esophageal stenosis, tracheoesophageal fistula, vocal cord paralysis, massive bleeding, and death.1,2 There are, however, surprisingly few reports of aspirated batteries in the searchable literature; we found only 2. We present the diagnostic workup and treatment of a previously healthy 4-year-old boy with an aspirated disk battery in the bronchus.
McLarty JD, Krishnan M, Rowe MR. Disk Battery Aspiration in a Young Child: A Scarcely Reported Phenomenon. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;138(7):680–682. doi:10.1001/archoto.2012.1097
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: