Diagnosis: Primary colonic-type adenocarcinoma of the tongue
Malignant neoplasms of the tongue consist of squamous cell carcinoma in over 90% of cases; however, numerous other types of malignant lesions of varying origins compose the remaining 10%. These include minor salivary gland carcinomas of classical types (eg, mucoepidermoid carcinoma, adenoid cystic carcinoma), mucosal melanoma, soft-tissue sarcomas, and lymphomas,1,2 as well as rarer histologic types with a nonrandom preference for the tongue, such as cribriform adenocarcinomas3 and hyalinizing clear cell carcinomas.4
Pathology Quiz Case 2: Diagnosis. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;139(6):654. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2013.3240b
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: