[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Views 792
Citations 0
Observation
May 2018

Novel Ingested Foreign Bodies—A Fidget Spinner Case Report

Author Affiliations
  • 1Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, Washington
  • 2University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018;144(5):456-457. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2017.2685

A woman in her late teens with a complex mental health history including depression and eating disorder was found to have severe neck pain and vomiting after reporting ingestion of a fidget spinner toy broken into 3 pieces. Surgical treatment was required for removal. We review this case and use it to highlight important features in the diagnosis and treatment of ingested foreign bodies.

To our knowledge, this is the first case report describing ingestion of a fidget spinner toy and subsequent complications. A common cause of emergency evaluations, foreign bodies are frequently benign and often pass without incident. However, some features should raise suspicion for potential problems. Magnets can cause obstruction, ulceration, and perforation owing to their propensity to attract across bowel loops and electrochemical burns can develop quickly with modern small batteries.1 Large objects (commonly defined as those greater than 20-25 mm) can obstruct or become impacted.2-4 Sharp or pointed objects can lead to perforation from ingestion or removal.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×