[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1960

Electromagnetic Foreign Body Locator in Otolaryngology

Author Affiliations

USNR, Pensacola, Fla.; USN, Oakland, Calif.
From the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Service, U.S. Naval Hospital, Oakland, Calif. The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private ones of the writers and are not to be construed as official or as necessarily reflecting the views of the Medical Department of the Navy or the Naval Service at large.

Arch Otolaryngol. 1960;72(6):783-788. doi:10.1001/archotol.1960.00740010797013
Abstract

Historical  Compelled by the need for an improved technique in detecting metallic foreign bodies, Dr. John J. Moorhead of New York City enlisted the aid of an electrical engineer, Mr. Samuel Berman. From this association, the Berman Locator was evolved.1,2 This ingenious apparatus works on the principle of electromagnetic induction similar to that of mine detectors used so extensively during wartime. After more than a year of experimentation, the device was first successfully used in November, 1941, to locate and aid in the removal of metallic fragments from the ankle of a policeman who was one of the victims of the New York World's Fair bomb explosion of July 4, 1940. X-ray aid was purposely omitted in order to test further the applicability of the instrument. In December, 1941, Dr. Moorhead took it to Honolulu, Hawaii, for demonstration during a series of lectures on traumatic surgery. The first extensive

×