[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 1969

Audiologic Diagnosis of Acoustic Neuromas

Author Affiliations

Los Angeles
From the Otologic Medical Group and the University of Southern California School of Medicine.

Arch Otolaryngol. 1969;89(2):280-284. doi:10.1001/archotol.1969.00770020282009
Abstract

AUDITORY TESTS used in the differential diagnosis of cochlear versus retrocochlear lesions have been adequately reported. Anticipated auditory findings in retrocochlear pathology are: a unilateral sensorineural high frequency loss, poor speech discrimination, marked tone decay, and low scores on the short increment sensitivity index (SISI) test. This paper is concerned with the auditory results in a large series of confirmed retrocochlear lesions and with some of the problems in test administration and interpretation.

Acoustic neuromas were found in 88% of the 202 cases which are presented in this report. The remaining 12% of the cases consist of primary cholesteatomas, meningiomas, hemangiomas, hemangiosarcomas, and seventh nerve tumors.

The results in this large series of cases emphasize once again the need to recognize the fact that no one test in itself can be considered conclusive. Where there are strong positive findings for some of the tests, there is good evidence in support

×