• Thirty-five patients with Meniere disease underwent endolymphatic sac decompression and drainage with a Silastic sac-mastoid shunt. On the basis of patients' responses to a questionnaire and on analysis of preoperative and postoperative audiometric studies, we found the method to be an effective means for conservation or improvement of hearing and for relief of vertigo in patients with positive glycerol tests.
Of the 35 patients, eight had negative glycerol tests and did not benefit from surgery (P <.001). Of the 27 patients with positive glycerol tests, 70.4% (19) had no further vertigo, and 18.5% (5) had decreased frequency or severity of attacks (an overall relief of vertigo in 88.9%). Hearing was improved in 16 (59.2%) and stabilized in five (18.5%). Subjectively, 85.2% (23/35) of the patients were satisfied with the hearing results of their operation.
(Arch Otolaryngol 103:268-270, 1977)
Arenberg IK, Spector GJ. Endolymphatic Sac Surgery for Hearing Conservation in Meniere Disease. Arch Otolaryngol. 1977;103(5):268–270. doi:10.1001/archotol.1977.00780220062005
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.