[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.204.183.113. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 1986

Treatment of Stage I Carcinoma of the Anterior Floor of the Mouth

Author Affiliations

USNR; USN
From the Department of Otolaryngology, Naval Hospital, San Diego. Dr Yco is now with the US Naval Hospital, Yokosuka, Japan.

Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1986;112(10):1085-1089. doi:10.1001/archotol.1986.03780100073011
Abstract

• A retrospective study of 27 patients treated for stage I squamous cell carcinoma of the floor of the mouth was performed to assess the effectiveness of therapy. Of these patients, 23 (85%) underwent surgical therapy. Four patients (15%) were treated with radiation therapy alone, and three (11%) underwent combined surgery and radiation treatment. Initial treatment failed in seven patients (26%), and further therapy was curative in only four of seven. This small study suggests that stage I floor-of-the-mouth squamous cell carcinoma is not an easy lesion to cure. Other studies support these data. A three-dimensional monobloc resection with a 2-cm margin, including resection of the submandibular glands, is advocated. Toluidine blue 0 mucosal staining and Mohs' chemosurgery are helpful adjuncts in determining the tumor margins.

(Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1986;112:1085-1089)

Stage I floor-of-the-mouth (FOM) squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) should be a controllable disease; the

×