We read with great interest the article by Kimball et al,1 who reviewed a series involving 10 children with esophageal button batteries. The authors indicate that the problem of button battery ingestion has worsened because of the increased use of battery-powered electronic devices. While the ubiquity of button batteries presents a danger to children, a recent review of National Poison Data System data failed to demonstrate a consistent increase in the frequency of reported button battery ingestions over the past 25 years.2 Instead, a 6.7-fold increase in severity of injury was noted over this same period: the result of increased use of larger-diameter, more-powerful 3-V lithium batteries in consumer electronics.
Brumbaugh D, Kramer RE, Litovitz T. Hemorrhagic Complications Following Esophageal Button Battery Ingestion. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;137(4):416. doi:10.1001/archoto.2011.36
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: